May 31, 2007

Did You Know This Is What Happens At A Banner Conference?

Late yesterday, a young guy asked if I would meet him for breakfast this morning. He apparently had been "blown away" by Ben Short's and Sinclair Ferguson's messages.
Last night, some other guys and I were wandering around campus when we stumbled on several Westminster Seminary guys making full use of the "hoops" in a pick-up basketball game.
Today, on my way to lunch, I asked a young pastor, "How are you?" He first replied, "Fine," but then began to cry. "That isn't true," he said, "I'm not fine." We talked and prayed together.
Tonight, a young pastor asked to get together in the morning ... subject yet unknown.
Throughout these days, one can readily see men spending time alone in quiet meditation on the things that they've heard. Additionally, two or three men can be found talking among themselves and ministering to one another.
-------------
As I have told people again and again ... Banner seeks to provide an environment where ministers of the Word can themselves be fed, where their souls can be nourished, and where they can also have some good, laughter-filled enjoyment in the process.
Grace & peace. Steve

10 comments:

Rich said...

Hi Steve,
If the American Pastor's conference is anything like the Youth conference that we had last month I am completely unsuprised by the reactions of this young pastor! Sinclair Ferguson (whom I had not heard before) blew me, and many others, away too. That was before John MacArthur had even arrived! I hope and pray that as the conference closes everyone will be both encouraged and challenged by the teaching and conversation. Hopefully one day, when I grow out of the Youth conference of course, I will be able to attend a BoT Pastor's conference perhaps even in the US!
Grace and peace.

Noah Braymen said...

Steve, reading about everything that is happening out there makes me bummed that I couldn't join in the fellowship. We're moving this week and weekend so it's good I didn't go.

Look forward to meeting sometime once we're out in DC. God bless you brother!

In Christ
Noah

Rileysowner said...

Steve,

It was great to meet you at the conference, and the conference itself was fantastic. I think the one pastor who traveled with me who was a first timer will very likely be back again.

I think the only thing that is bad about the Banner minister's conference is that I now have to wait a whole year for the next one.

Steve Burlew said...

Rich - So good to hear from you! I have no idea how old you are, but I would love to welcome you to our U.S. Conference some day. Might that be as early as next year?

Steve Burlew said...

Noah - While you can't do anything about this year's conference, you can certainly buy a PERMANENT marker and use it to enter the 2008 conference in your calendar. Do plan to come, brother! It would be great to have you among the group! But we will have the opportunity to meet after you settle into DC, right?

Steve Burlew said...

rilysowner - We met? UGH. Then I never made the connection between you and your blog. I even asked another pastor from Canada if he knew the one with the "rileysowner" blog because, based on your posts before coming, I specifically wanted to meet you. At least email me your name so I can make the connection, would you please? steve@banneroftruth.org. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Steve

Rich said...

alas I am but 21, and a few years from ever becoming a pastor or elder (although still older than Jonathon Edwards!) hopefully I will be working for a church next year and will thus qualifiy, although I shall enjoy the privalidges of attending the youth conference while I am stil able!!

Steve Burlew said...

Sounds good, Rich. Come when you are able to do so. In the meantime, keep pressing on toward that high calling! God bless.
Steve

Rileysowner said...

Hi Steve. My name. You want to know my name :) Jim Vellenga, no secret there, although I don't know how many of the people from Canada would know I have a blog.

jc said...

What's this about the Youth Conference? Banner of Truth has a national conference for young people?
Do tell.