July 30, 2007

"...when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand."

"Do you still struggle with sin?"
It is some form of that question that I often ask guys at conferences, or other locations, in advance of giving away a copy of Banner of Truth's Puritan Paperback, "The Mortification of Sin." Ohhhhh, what a book! Of course, I already know their answer before asking the question because I only too well know my own answer to that question. It was that ongoing struggle that took me back to another Puritan Paperback over the weekend, Watson's "The Doctrine of Repentance." Ohhhh, he ministered to me from page one! This is even worth memorizing: "Repentance is a grace of God's Spirit whereby a sinner is inwardly humbled and visibly reformed. For a further amplification, know that repentance is a spiritual medicine made up of six special ingredients: (1) Sight of sin; (2) Sorrow for sin; (3) Confession of sin; (4) Shame for sin; (5) hatred for sin; and (6) Turning from sin. If any one is left out it loses its virtue." I'm hooked ... I have to finish this book!
By the way, those "Fabulous Friday" damaged books listed below are available until their gone; call anytime you're interested. Grace & peace. Steve.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I already received my copy of Religious Affections in the mail! Many thanks and Lord bless you.

Steve Burlew said...

Excellent! Glad to hear it. Now get to reading, James!
:-)

David Reimer said...

Watson's Doctrine of Repentance was the first "Puritan Paperback" I read. I read it because I needed it ... or rather, need it.

**SPOILER ALERT**

"Faith persuades of the love of God, and that love sets us a-weeping."

Just so.

David Reimer

Ryan said...

Greetings Steve! Just wanted to say hello and that I just bought my Fabulous Friday copy of 'Religious Affections' today over the phone! Talk about an extra-ordinary Monday!

On another encouraging note I wanted to share with you---I recommend different books to my congregation each quarter for their own edification. Based on our lunch together this quarter's recommendation was "The Valley of Vision"-- and since early June we've sold 14 copies! Just yesterday at church a person approached me with a great testimony regarding this books powerful impact.

Soli deo gloria! Ryan Day

Steve Burlew said...

Thanks for the note, David. I hear ya! It's another one of those "read, re-read, and then go read it again," books.

Steve Burlew said...

Ryan - I'm glad you made the call; sorry I didn't get to say hi. But also, thanks for that added note. That's great! When are you coming back for another visit, brother?