July 9, 2007

Is There A Greater Contrast Than This?

This morning, within a time period of about 30 minutes, I went from hugging a homeless guy on the streets of Atlanta after buying him breakfast, to walking through a convention hall of "Christian" action figures and suckers (or do you call them lollipops?) made in the shape of a cross on a stick, available in cherry, lemon, wild berry and sour apple (see the image here) - all at this year's International Christian Retail Association's trade show. I don't know what more to say!

ADDENDUM, Thursday, July 12th - Today is the last day of this Christian retail trade show, which means I get to head home in less than 24 hours! But just when I thought I'd seen it all, I found out this morning that I hadn't. Move aside, cross lollipops. Make room for the "xtreme Jesus" figurines ... Cowboy Jesus riding a bull, biker Jesus on a Harley, surfer Jesus, skateboarder Jesus, and more. I would show you an image or two but they are obviously copyrighted, so I can't. It's just as well. Your imagination will be enough. And did I mention the one t-shirt that said, "Salvation: So Easy Even A Caveman Could Do It"?

5 comments:

TimBix said...

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the trade show. I wonder how many people are making it rich off Christianity without much thought for Christ (anxious to sell plenty of candy crosses but unwilling to take up their own cross and follow the Master).

We obviously can't judge hearts but one can sense the mood in the atmosphere.

Tim Bixby

Anonymous said...

I really would like to hear your thoughts or, just some of your observations, from the trade show too.

Anonymous said...

The suckers are the ones who buy the lollipops--play on words. How on earth do such brethren (for brethern they are) come to the conclusion that such things gloriy God or advance the gospel? They trivialize the faith!

Steve Burlew said...

Well, Tim & Matthew - My thoughts, huh? I need to start packing up the booth right now, but let me try to sort through both the thoughts and emotions I'm leaving here with, and I'll see what I can pull together. More to come.

Steve Burlew said...

I think I'll put my thoughts on a post all by itself; so if you're looking here, check a later post for a follow-up to this one.
Thanks.
Steve