November 29, 2007

Let Me Introduce You To 17-Year Old Ben

I've known Ben for a while, but really spent some time talking with this 17-year old teenager about a month or so ago. That's when I learned that he's reading his way through Banner of Truth's 14-volume set on Romans by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. Soon after that, Ben's mom called to order two books that Ben wanted for his birthday: "Mortification of Sin," by John Owen, and "Godly Man's Picture," by Thomas Watson. And most recently, with Ben's work in Romans, I gave Ben a challenge - Memorize the Book of Romans! If he would, I would ... one verse at a time. "Better yet," I said,"How about you get some others to join us, sort of a 'Romans Club'?" Wouldn't you know it" He did! Three of his friends, so far, I think. Today's verse is Romans 1:9. Tomorrow we'll memorize 1:10. We're still early in the process, so we're still taking new members! My youngest daughter - age 13 - joined last night; she memorized Romans 1:1-3 before going to bed! And who said teenagers had to act like idiots! Grace & peace to you. Steve.

4 comments:

jc said...

Go Ben Go!

Family Blogs said...

Breathtaking and challenging stuff. Can I join the Romans's Club, and maybe mention it on my own blog?

Anonymous said...

I only started memorizing Scripture this past Spring in a systematic manner, and it is a joy and wonder to behold God's Word in large swaths.

In late May at the Gospel Coalition Andy Davis spoke on meditation of Scripture and handed out his booklet with his method. It has been a fantastic discipline. My wife and I memorized Colossians in about 4 1/2 months. We are now three chapters into Hebrews or I would join you. The discipline of doing it daily is a great way of seeing inflections and understanding the Lord's Word in such a more intimate manner. I pray that the Lord would use this for surgery on you heart

Steve Burlew said...

Andrew & Carolyn -
Most certainly! Join us! Glad to have you! I'll tell Ben this afternoon we have a new chapter in ... is it Ireland where you're studying?