December 20, 2007

This Is Going To Change Some Lives!

If you haven't given solid consideration to "The Timmy Brister Challenge" below, read this letter from one U.S. pastor, and then give it some serious thought. You CAN do this! I urge you to do this! Let me know if you decide to.
===========================
Steve -
Six people from my church signed up to do the Puritan Challenge.... I am following Timmy's reading schedule below (except, I will need to substitute the Reformed Pastor with something else...I have not decided yet).
January: The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes (128 pp)
February: The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel (221 pp)
March: The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson (252 pp)
April: Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices by Thomas Brooks (253 pp)
May: Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ by John Bunyan (225 pp)
June: The Mortification of Sin by John Owen (130 pp)
July: A Lifting Up for the Downcast by William Bridge (287 pp)
August: The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs (228 pp)
September: The True Bounds of Christian Freedom by Samuel Bolton (224 pp)
October: The Christian's Great Interest by William Guthrie (207 pp)
November: The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter (256 pp)
December: A Sure Guide to Heaven by Joseph Alleine (148 pp)
3 Individuals will foot their own bill (two are a couple who will share). I'm taking money out of my "[Special] Savings" program (a somewhat unsuccessful and now longstanding attempt to acquire [a certain] multi-volume set) and my wife and I will be purchasing a set for another, and one of our deacons (who fell in love with the Valley of Vision) is providing 6 months worth for another individual. I have one young mother of three who would like to be part of it and needs assistance. Any help (to any degree) from Banner would be most appreciated. Being a congregation of about 90-100 this time of year, I am tickled by the response. I can't wait to see what the Lord will do.
=============================
That is so incredible! I would LOVE to hear from at least one other pastor who did likewise and pulled together a 2008 Puritans Reading Group. I, too, "can't wait to see what the Lord will do" with this group of believers!
Blessings to you all.
Steve

No comments: